Important Things You Can Do To See That Your Home Sells for Top Dollar!
Price It Right -- Right from the Beginning!
Nothing is more important to the fast and profitable sale of your home than pricing it right. The location of your home and its unique characteristics are key elements in determining its value.
Once your home's value has been determined you can decide on an asking price that will achieve your goals. Generally, the price should not exceed your home's value by more than 5%.
An overly high asking price can discourage potential buyers from even making offers. To sell quickly, your asking price should be very near your home's value.
Here are some important things to keep in mind about pricing:
- Realistic pricing achieves the maximum price in a reasonable time.
- Houses that remain on the market a long time do not get shown.
- The cost of your home or the profit you desire is irrelevant; the market determines the price.
- Major home improvement almost always cost more than the added value.
- A house that is priced right from the beginning achieves the highest proceeds.
Show It to It's Best Advantage!
It's called "Curb appeal", and it makes a potential buyer want to see the rest of the house.
What do you see when you drive up to your house? Below, categorized for convenience are suggestions to maximize your home's curbside appeal
Yard & Landscaping
- Keep yard mowed, trimmed and edged.
- Eliminate or replace any dead trees or bushes. Keep both trees and bushes pruned.
- Weed flower beds and keep yard uncluttered.
- Repair or replace any broken or missing parts of your fence; paint if necessary.
Driveway and Garage or Carport
- Keep cars parked in the garage at all times and edge or trim around drive.
- Clean up any oil or grease spots on concrete drives.
- Make certain your garage door opens smoothly and any automatic door opener is working.
Your Front Entry
- Replace broken or worn mailboxes and doorbells. Make sure your doorbell works.
- Likewise, be sure exterior light fixtures work and are cleaned and polished.
- If necessary, stain or paint your front door.
- Consider touch up painting on trim work, shutters, gutters and downspouts.
- Make any necessary repairs to the house roof and replace worn shingles.
- Clean out gutters.
- Repair or replace damaged screens and window glass.
- Having windows washed and coil all exterior hoses.
Get Things Working!
- Make certain furnace and air conditioning are working properly.
- Replace furnace filters; clean electrostatic filters if applicable.
- Make any necessary repairs to tolietsand leaking faucets.
- Unclog any slow drains.
- Be sure your basement sump pump works, if applicable.
- All lighting fixtures and switches (both interior and exterior) should be in working order.
- Make sure no fixture is missing a bulb. See that all switches have switch plates and all outlets have covers.
- Check that all CGIs are reset and work.
- Check batteries in all smoke detectors and be certain security systems work correctly.
Let There Be Light
- Light makes a difference. Open draperies for day showings and turn on lights (both day and night.)
- For evening showings turn on exterior lights and landscape lighting.
- Turn on gas logs or burn a Dura-flame log in fireplaces.